Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thank you, Single X, for taking the time to comment.

I brought up The New York Times and the Wall Street Journal because several previous posts have claimed that they do not charge for online content. That's not true. As I've posted in the past, in response to other posts, if you want full online access to all their content, you have to pay for the e-Edition. I also wrote that they have a lot more content, both free and paid, and that they have much larger staffs, too. I certainly wasn't trying to deceive anyone. I don't think anyone would confuse our papers!

We do run national and state columnists and opinion pieces in our daily opinion page (two pages on Sundays), but if you're not an e-Edition or print subscriber, you don't see those. We run Maureen Dowd frequently, as a matter of fact. And Paul Krugman, George Will, David Broder, Kathleen Parker and more. If you're referring to local commentary, however, you're right, we don't have nearly as much as The New York Times. We do have lots of strong letters to the editor on local topics, Odie Arambula writes his weekly Monday Wash that covers a wide range of topics and we run occasional local columns from local experts on issues of the day. I write editorials as often as I have the opportunity, usually on Sundays. It's a matter of time and staffing. I will try to write more often.

As for "dumbing down" by printing more photos, I disagree. We are a visual community, and those photo pages have some of the highest number of page views and receive numerous positive comments.

You ask why we don't compare ourselves to Texas papers in terms of charging for online content; as I said, I believe you'll be seeing more papers charging in the future. You ask, "why now?" As I wrote, the industry is facing financial difficulties and we must have revenue to continue providing content, online and in print. We're all trying different avenues. An earlier post quoted a story by Wendy Davis from the Daily Online Examiner about the folly of charging, but there are plenty of other stories that say the time is long overdue.

Papers across the country have been increasing the number of unique visitors and page views significantly, but there hasn't been a corresponding increase in advertising. It's true The New York Times backed off its Times Select paid model two years ago, but it has been quietly, successfully charging for its e-Edition for some time now. They are charging for what people really want and can't get anywhere else. That's what we're doing. We provide quality local content that you can't get anywhere else. Yes, there are other Laredo online sources, blogs and other media sites, and some of the stories are the same but we have a great deal of exclusive content. Thousands of people pay 50 cents for the daily edition and $2 for the Sunday edition. We believe people are willing to pay to get that content online, too.

I also disagree with your view that we will appear to be "insular and provincial." I think you'll find quite the contrary in a few months. But I guess we'll see.

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I know we don't agree, but I'm glad to hear your views.

7 comments:

  1. I appreciate the time you spent on responding.

    In our blog, La Sanbe, we are carrying a post regarding your arguments to charge for online content again today (Friday).

    Specifically, we noted that in today's front page, you are carrying a Houston Chronicle story by Lise Olsen.

    Well, we could link and access the Houston Chronicle story without having to pay for the online content.

    Do you think there is something wrong with the fact that the LMT is charging Laredoans for the VERY SAME STORY that can be accessed for free elsewhere?

    And, more precisely, since you point out that newspapers are moving in this direction because it is a business model, what is LMT doing wrong that it has forced them to be the first ones to have to charge for online access in comparison to other newspapers?

    In other words, other papers seem to get by--for now, I do concede--without charging people with online revenue ads. So, why can't the Times do the same? Or does it choose not to?

    Thanks again for the response. Usually the LMT removes all critical comments within nanoseconds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bring up another point that hasn't been addressed.

    The decision to charge for online content is a blow to proud Laredo expatriates like me who currently live in other cities.

    I don't read the Laredo Morning Times every single day, and I think I would need to do so in order to justify paying for an online subscription. But I have enjoyed looking at the web site semi-regularly in order to get an idea of what is going on back at home.

    The decision fosters the alienation of people across the world who have strong connections to Laredo, and stifles the exchange of information and ideas between Laredo and the rest of the world.

    Sounds pretty insular and provincial to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here here.

    Thanks. I should have highlighted that stronger in my previous comment, but it failed to dawn on me.

    I, too, was a Laredo expatriate once upon a time. The LMT was all that kept me tied to the city from hundreds of miles away. An online subscription thus becomes challenging for them.

    And what about college students? Laredoans in the armed forces? You want them to pay for news when no one else in Texas is doing it right now (charging for online news)?

    This is a big public relations snafu, what about that angle? Is the Times ready to deal with the fallout from that, or does the Times not care?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Fuentes you continue to have to explain why we need to pay for the online content. However, I haven't seen online content worthy of this charge.

    I think it's absurd to compare LMT like the WSJ and NYT. The LMT at present can't even compare itself to a smaller newspaper like The Victoria Advocate that has an excellent up to the minute online newspaper.

    I don't know LMT's financial situation, but advertisers should support the newspaper in online advertising. It is evident by the number of comments while the newspaper was free online that it had a large online audience.

    I for one won't buy a subscription until I feel the newspaper is up to par with its counterparts, including more original content. I hope changes happen before LMT follows the fate of other newspapers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sex panther?!? Um, OK. As I noted before, we are hardly comparing ourselves to the Wall Street Journal or The New York Times. I was simply correcting an erroneous claim made in previous posts that they did not charge for online. I believe LaSanBe's author, in another post, wrote that I went "Nostradamus" on you all when I suggested other papers might start charging soon. You may have already have heard about today's Post story that The New York Times is considering charging $5 a month for its web exclusive content. (We're still offering ours for free.)

    We believe we do offer exclusive content that's worth paying for, content you can't get anywhere else. In fact, LaSanBe has one of our stories posted at the top of its site -- without permission -- and they frequently touted our work before we started charging and they could no longer get something for nothing.

    As for all the people who live out of town who want to see Laredo Morning Times, many of our new subscribers are from out of town and some are living abroad. They want to keep up to date with what's going on in Laredo and they're willing to pay a small amount -- just $45 for a whole year -- to help ensure that we'll be around to continue providing that information for years to come.

    We will continue to strive to provide quality content, both on our free Web site and our print edition. We hope we can one day count all of you as valuable subscribers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ms. Fuentes,

    Nostradamus refers to your claim that all the Texas papers will soon charge for content.

    Again, you keep referencing New York newspapers. You simply refuse to examine other newspapers in the Lone Star State.

    And as far as my comments regarding the Houston Chronicle story, they did not imply plagiarism. Rather, they referenced the notion that the same story appears in the Houston Chronicle FOR FREE. That is what I am arguing.

    So, you say that the Chronicle and the Laredo Times are sister newspapers, right? Well, explain it to a person that did not finish in the top 10% of their class why the Times charges and the Chronicle does not.

    If the Times uses some of the Chronicles' stories--which the Times, as you point out, has every right to do--why doesn't the Chronicle charge for their online content?

    And, please, let us not cloud the issue with your terminology of exclusive and non-exclusive content. Since 2008, the Laredo Times used to charge for PDF files and that was fine, but now it is the simple online stories that are also on the pay as you go feature. There is where the differentiation is made between the recent practices of July 1 for the LMT and the rest of the major news organs for Texas.

    My profuse apologies if you took my stance that using the Chronicle was unethical. I did not mean in regards to permission and fair use policies. What I meant to say was that there appears to be something wrong with using a free story and charging for it, especially since you used the words "exclusive" in regards to the LMT's content.

    So, if La Sanbe had done the same--copied a free story and then turned around and charged for it--we would expect and deserve equal criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs. Fuentes, please excuse my online nom de plume.

    Although there are several valid issues that LaSanbe brings up concerning the charging for the online edition, my main gripe is that I don’t see content that is worth charging for. I want a reason to subscribe yet I don’t see editorials that reflect local views or up to the minute news feeds that Pro8News easily provides and for free.

    As a former subscriber, I wish to someday renew my subscription with LMT when it's up to par with other Texas newspapers.

    ReplyDelete